We’re excited that you want to be a host during Green Energy Doors Open! To register please visit http://greenenergydoorsopen.ca/submit-event/.
Ideas from past years:
- Set up a tour of your home or business showcasing details about the project(s) like your new windows, insulation, solar panels and charging station.
- Host a BBQ for your colleagues, staff and the community at your manufacturing facility or condo.
- Suggest a bestselling book on sustainable energy to and organize a special gathering to discuss at your book club.
- Reach out to companies in your community and organize a field trip to see a wind farm, green building or other sustainable energy projects first hand.
- Show a movie about energy efficiency, climate change or some other related topic at your local community center.
- Hold a sustainable energy scavenger hunt with the local Boy Scouts and Girl Guides.
- Get active by organizing a bike tour or host a party bringing the sector and its supporters together.
- Talk to your local car dealer about hosting test drives of their electric vehicles.
- Showcase your school, college or universities green energy projects and programs.
Steps to organizing a successful event:
- Decide on a time slot on the first e.g. 1PM to 4PM
- Decide on the nature for your event
- Choose a suitable venue
- Register your event at http://greenenergydoorsopen.ca/submit-event/. We will give you a link to your event on our page once the event is approved and plot you on the Google Map. Share this link with your network and post it to your event page, on social media and on your promotional material.
- Spread the word to your community in the months and weeks leading up to the event and get them involved. Some may even want to host their own events!
- Work with us to create your case study, media story and/or info-graphic about your project/ event.
Forming a team
Getting others involved with your event is a great way to build your community and support the local businesses and organizations involved in your project, fostering lasting relationships and new opportunities while having fun sharing the work that needs to get done. Plan out what you would like to do, inventory the skills and experiences that will help you organize and promote the event, and then recruit! By growing your circle you will also increase your credibility and the reach of your story inspiring others to get involved.
See GEDO’16 events and hosts for more event ideas