Letting the media know about Green Energy Doors Open and your event(s) can be a lot of fun, attract more visitors to your event and help spread your story. Be sure to contact us if you need any assistance!
- Media advisories – Templates (Version 1, Version 2)
- 2017 Media Advisory – Stay Tuned!
- Press release – Template (GEDO17_Press_Release)
- Green Energy Doors Open 2017 – Stay Tuned!
Here are a few tips:
Be well prepared with the speaking points you want to communicate – Read more
- Know how you want to come across.
- Provide compelling reasons to be trusted.
- Don’t be so quick to speak.
- Say it like you mean it.
- Make a point of pausing.
Remember you are a spokesperson for your sustainable energy project:
- Present a “human face”.
- Be a credible source of information talking about what you know.
- Be a spokes-person, not an answer-person!
- Deliver the core message – sustainable energy is powering Ontario’s prosperity and your project is a great example!
- Stay “on message” – all the time.
- Tell the truth all the time, it’s ok to not know the answer.
Know the interview situation
- What is the interview objective?
- What is the target audience?
- Why are you there?
- What is the topic of the interview?
- What has the journalist said about sustainable energy before?
- What questions will he/she ask?
- Print or broadcast (live or taped?)
- What is the outlet’s deadline?
When developing and delivering messages remember:
- Key messages are what will drive the target audiences to do and think good things about sustainable energy
- If you repeat key messages about why sustainable energy is creating prosperity, highlighted by your story, this is what will be covered.
Keys to media success:
- Listen to the question and understand it before answering
- Answer directly. If you are asked a question more than once, simply repeat the right answer
- If you don’t know, say so and don’t be pressured into saying more than you want
- Avoid complex jargon, draw easy-to-understand “word pictures”
- Use the “free advertising opportunity” of your interview to mention Green Energy Doors Open and your project
- NEVER do an interview immediately so that you can be prepared:
- Let them know you are busy but will call back
- Ask them some questions to help you prepare
- The reporters name, the media outlet and contact details
- Ask what the topic of the story is and scope
- Determine the deadline
- Offer to call back
- Talk to your colleagues and pull together your material
Contacting your local newspaper, radio or TV station Read more Being on camera Read more On the radio Read more
Being on camera Read more On the radio Read more
On the radio Read more